[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS • View topic - Need some real help

Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Need some real help
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:08 am 

Hey everybody...I got a problem.

A friend referred someone to me thru xfire because he was looking for help with BFRM. I say okay, and try to help this guy. He was having a problem with bots not showing up on coop maps so I tried my best to help out. Unfortunately I couldn't find a solution not knowing much about coop mode and its server settings. Afterwards he expressed an interest in modding some maps on his server. I explained to him I know a bit about modding, and directed him to this website and say he could learn how to do it himself. I also linked him to my tutorial for beginners. He said he has visited the site in the past, and didn't care for modding. He said his english wasn't so good and gave the impression it would be difficult for him to do.

He asked me if I would mod maps for him. He said he would have no problem paying me, and gave the impression money was not a concern or problem for him. I asked for $12 a map, and he remarked how low a number that was. At the time he said he wanted each map modded, but started out with Bocage. I did Bocage as requested, and then I did Wake (I made the creative decisions). I emailed both to him, and he seemed very happy with them.

The most I wanted to send without any payment was two maps; but he asked if I could make midway for him like another popular server, and on completion he would pay me $60. I agreed, and completed Midway last night and sent it to him, 1am local time (central). In this email I also sent him Bocage CTF and Wake CTF.

I signed on today around 2pm and checked my email / xfire / msn to see if he was on or had replied. He hadn't, so I assumed he was busy, but I was starting to fear the worst: he wasn't going to pay. He had also said at least on one occasion that "I can trust him", which should have been a dead giveaway but I was too trusting. I see on my xfire list that his server is on Midway, and he is in game with another player. I join the server, thinking I can ask him how he likes the new map. As soon as I join, I see him give the BFRM command: !ban .1. I was banned from the server. My heart sank, my fears were realized.

I went back on my brother's computer, but he was playing dumb about it. "I didn't ban anyone, the ban logs are emty." Finally he admitted "tell him he shouldn't be so trusting." So, I'm banned from his server, he deleted me from xfire, BUT, i have his clan website (I have already emailed the clans 1942 admins for some sort of help), two email addresses, and his game server provider's website.

I am omitting his name and the clan name untill I find out more information.

Does anyone have any ideas, any courses of action? A friend said I should contact his ISP and just tell them he did not pay for service I rendered. I don't know what good that would do, but he said "at least they would have a record of it."

Of course, this guy is from oversea's too.

I emailed the admins asking them to delete my files if they have the power, and that I would send the files again if he paid. I really doubt they have that power though. Hopefully they won't side with this guy.

The money is one thing, but I'm sure he had no intention of paying from the beginning. What ticks me off so much is that I busted my ass; and while the mods themselves were nothing earth-shattering, I gave him an average turn-around time of one day...I'd say that's pretty good service.

I don't know. I feel sick to my stomach and don't know what to do. If this scumbag thinks I'm going to forget about this though he is very wrong...I would like to take any course of action necessary to get him to pay.

Any help...at all...is very much appreciated.

Thanks...

-iced

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need some real help
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:19 am 

Well that sucks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:21 am 

Do like any other drugged up superstar would do.
Sue his ass.
Mail police in his/servers country and tell them that stolen material is used on this guys server.

I hope you have any agreement on paper :oops:
There is always a big risk when you give them files first.

There should be somewhere in there agreement for renting server that they are not allowed to use copyrighted material if they don't own it. = the server provider have to take actions against his clans gameserver.

And don't be shy, tell us this super clans name and who the guy was. This allow us to help you, by banning them from our servers.

Most gameserver admins log in here from time to time and most likely would help you in this situation.

There is always a way around everything! Not to worry.
Who knows, a friend of a friend of a friend might work on this game hosting place.

PS.
And yes!!! 12$ is low.
A good modder would take 200$ per hour :twisted:
It's programming in it's finest form and only a few can do it.
If they are to lazy to learn, make them pay.
Don't sell your services out for nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:25 am 

Urglubs right, out the scumbag, and any info you can Iced. That way, at least for those of us here, we can spread the word and\or not get hooked by the same. And heres a link:
http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jan/1/241476.html I hope it helps my friend.

Webpage: http://ez1st.homeip.net/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:42 am 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:25 pm 

Sorry to hear you got screwed. I don't think you have many legal options. Next time, get them to pay up front like I do ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:34 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:39 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next