[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS • View topic - skinnin' like Iced.

Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: skinnin' like Iced.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:05 am 

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: skinnin' like Iced.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:35 pm 

guess i'll just keep trying stuff :cry: :cry: :( :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:33 pm 

post link to map or pm link... this should be an easy fix.
Have you made a copy of the spitfire mesh files.. the sm and rs files?

like copy and rename...? Its not quite clear.

If you have then thats your problem... you cannot make a copy of a mesh file and rename... the files name is also embedded in the sm file so it all goes wrong when you try this... and you get no texture.. :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:37 pm 

I beg to differ on the rename thing. I've renamed quite a few static objects mesh files on my PoE Mini mod so that I can make them destructible (and not intefere with maps that won't have this feature). I have had no issues with the textures after renaming.

What he more then likely got wrong was that the RS files for each SM file do not match or he forgot to copy over the RS files. The RS files is what tells the game what textures go to what SM file. However the material names in the RS files can't be changed. Perhaps this is what your talking about? The only way to change material names in the RS files is to do it with GMAX or 3DS Max, since the material names are in the SM Files and the RS files need to match up with them. He should have no need to do this anyway. He can change the texture file names, as long as the texture file names in the RS file is updated. Its only the "subshader" names he can't change.

Also, be sure to "generate mipmaps" when you save a DDS file! The game gets picky about this. Menu/GUI elements don't need mipmaps, but all mesh files (including the ground textures) need to have mipmaps.

Check your DDS file. Does it have multiple layers in photoshop/GIMP? If not, then it doesn't have mipmaps.

When you change a texture file that does have mipmaps, you must delete all the other layers prior to saving and regenerate mipmaps for that file.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:56 pm 

Agreed, I could rename .sm and .rs files and have to work straight away.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:14 am 

hmm.. I had probs with this when I tried. Its quite a while back and one of the reasons I started using max.

You can change the subshader in the mesh quite easiliy with a hex editor also.

I'm gonna have to try and recreate this as it didnt work for me when just copying and renaming.. This query did sound just like my prob.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]