[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS • View topic - ObjectTemplate.IsSticky 1

Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:59 pm 

I used the code ObjectTemplate.IsSticky 1, that I saw on the MDT site on my expacks and it works on vehicles and buildings.... basically anything not human.... how can I make the exppacks stick to humans? :? maybe something I have to do with the materials? thanks

Profile Send private message E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:30 am 

I've messed with this before, it's exceptionally buggy server-side in BF1942, even for exppacks on vehicles.

Using isSticky exppacks:
1. Put exppacks on APC, they are now stuck to APC and APC can move, etc.
2. Drive APC off cliff/blow it up some other way/have somebody else blow it up
3. OMG GAME CRASH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:37 am 

then is there any way clientside? :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:58 pm 

EA Games never finished implementing this code, so therefore it is unstable. As neat as this code might be, it cannot be used if you want to play the game to last for more then a few minutes without it crashing.

If to many projectiles are stickied to a single vehicle, the game may crash when the vehicle moves around.

When a vehicle dies that still has a stickied projectile on it, the game will crash when that vehicle's wreck (if it has one)disappears. If the vehicle doesn't have a wreck lod, then the game will crash as soon as the vehicle dies.

EA didn't tell the game what to do with the projectile if the object that it's stuck to disappears. For example, the stickied projectile will remain on vehicle after it dies as long as it has a wreck. The game wont actually crash untill the wreck dissappears, since the engine still considers the wreck the same object that created it (same lod object, just a different mesh loaded)

So if you REALLY want to use this code, you MUST set all the timetoliveafterdeath settings for all the vehicles in your map, so that they stay on the map forever after death. But the game might still crash when the round restarts since I'm not sure if stickied projectiles disappear when the game restarts the round, so there's a chance it will still crash.

Also if a client is on a server that uses sticky projectiles. The server will crash instead of the client if the above situations occur. The clients won't crash, but will be disconnected from the server, since the server crashed.

Also if you use the sticky setting on landmines, it increases their effectiveness. Normally if there is a landmine on a tank, the player can escape it, by very slowly driving away from it. However is a landmine is stuck the vehicle via the sticky setting ANY movement at all will set off the landmine which would make it impossible to move the vehicle without dieing. The game won't crash if it was the stickied projectile that killed the vehicle since the sticked projectile is no longer there after detonation.

Also, if you noticed, when you throw a expack/landmine that has the sticky setting, the projectile sorta wants to stick to the soldier instead, but escapes somehow, so it actually propels the soldier a little bit in the direction it is being thrown since the sticky effect will grab the soldier with the projectile for a short period. Weird little bug isn't it?

Its too bad they never finished this. I think BF2 has this, so it looks like EA Games thought about it for BF1942, but decided for whatever reason to not finish it and delayed this feature for BF2.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:51 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:07 am 

I wasn't aware BFV had it fully implemented. I never tested this code in BFV, so I stand corrected on that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:52 pm 

I planted 55 custom sticky TNT to a BM-21, and was able to drive it just fine :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:17 pm 

Which game did you do that on?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next