Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: El Alamein Night Map
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:09 pm 

Really Really determined attackers could change their IP if they find a failed connection problem. Hopefully the attacker won't be smart enough to use a proxy server to change the IP whenever he/she wants.

But for now the firewall option should work best for the moment. It all depends on how the attacker will respond to your countermeasures. If luck holds out, the attacker will just leave your alone wants he/she find that you blocked their IP with a firewall.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:06 pm 

You can't magically change your IP address. If you are lucky enough to have an ISP that gives you a dynamic IP address, there is no guarantee that a release/renew or flush of your connection will net you a new IP address. My old ISP would only give me a new one if I left the modem itself off for at least 10 minutes, any other restart or request for a new ip address gave the same one back.

And even then a decent subnet ban would probably cover all that you need to cover. My current ISP always gives me N.M.P.X where N,M, and P are constants and X has a range of only about 15 or so. [But I would never complain about my ISP, since it's the fastest cheap dedicated connection around.]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:22 am 

Yes I my self have a dynamic external IP. It changes if I leave the DSL modem off for more then a few minutes. But what about proxy servers? I don't see a way to stop that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:30 am 

My ISP is the same, if my power goes out for several minutes (modem box off) my IP changes. You could use a proxy though and that can't be combatted cause people can change it as many times as they like.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:00 am 

Proxies are difficult to work through the command line or the game itself and still have the gameserver accept the connection. If the ping is ridiculous or the query is not proper (tampered with headers through proxies, etc) then it will just reject it before it even counts it as a player connect.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2