[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS • View topic - SERVER SIDE MIDWAY MOD FOR ALL TO ENJOY

Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:25 pm 

Profile Send private message E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:01 pm 

With a little grammar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:13 pm 

yeah. but i mean with the attitude. like he's dissing people who have been around for longer than him when he's so new! it's insane.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:15 pm 

I know what you meant...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:01 am 

Wrong, this ´ is not an apostrophe. It's for the Europeans who are too stupid to find the real apostrophe on their keyboards. They have no affiliation with the real apostrophe, though they look alike on the keyboard, they are "independent".

´ is a special character mainly used in French (actually, it's really only just them who use it...), as well as `

´ is the so called accent aigu, it is used in the french language to define pronouncation of vocales. That's also the reason why his apostrophes always have spaces next to them, an accent itself is no character, it has to be combined with a vocale. Press the accent button (or shortcut), then a vocale. Áá, Éé, Íí,Óó, Úù.

` is the so called accent grave, its used for the very same reasons on the very same vocales, it just describes a different way of pronounciation. If you are more interested, google it.

Obviously we also got the real apostrophe ' . But it's not that important here as in most of the European "big" languages they are used only very rarely or not at all.

It is avaible on most (Western) European keyboards as French might be used or might have to be used. The Benelux countries are special cases, most of them field a pretty good minority of French (especially in Belgium) and French, though it's not official language, is still used familiar or even as second language (as in Belgium).

I never got used to the "magic quotes", they are so incredibly ... wrong. I also found it always very amusing that every country has very different ways of marking quotations. In English it's a simple "quote", in French it's a «Quote», in German a „Quote“ , and Japan has 「Quote」. The "magic quotes" from MSWord are completely independent are used by no country...

xFire: wgpsenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:03 am 

I know of the accented characters and the need for AltGR+ on certain keyboards for certain languages, and I bet you're right about it not being an apostrophe at all. Most word processing software like MSWord allows keyboard shortcuts that allow you to type the accents before/after the letter, and while pressing a special key combo, it adds that accent to the letter. Simple and efficient.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:03 am 

Proper use of the "Apostrophe"

Of RISPAH. (who had been the concubine of King SAUL) when DAVID hanged her children, because their father had done amiss.

From morn to eve from eve to rosy morn,
On this bleak rock I'll lay me all forlorn;
Here will I stay, tho' tempests frown around,
Fierce lightnings glare, or earthquakes rock the ground.
The prowling wolves, the hungry birds of prey,
Pierc'd with my moans, will rove another way:
Less steel'd than man, with hearts dissolv'd they go,
And lose their nature at the voice of woe.
And did ye, O my hapless offspring! bleed
For your unhappy father's thoughtless deed?
He fell, alas! on Gilboa's fatal plain,
And gave his life 'mong thousands nobly slain.
--He had his faults; but he was kind and brave,
And with him all his errors found a grave;
-- Thus fondly I
With cursed, deadly hate
Against his house are hurl'd the bolts of state;
For royal David, wrapt in purple-grieves
While one of Saul's unfort'nate lineage lives:
His word is fate -- myself, my children all,
Must in an undistinguish'd ruin fall.

========================================================

Of Malestrom (Who hates rude @$$holes)

If you don't like the map, don't use it.
If you have a better one, post it.
If you don't have a better one then do 1 of 2 things.
1- You could be a gentleman and keep rude comments to yourself
2- Make one worthy of meeting your standards and share it ;-)

Its for fun already
Pull up a chair and have 1 on me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:33 am 

Malestrom, your map is not bad or anything, the problem is that you advertised it as "the one and ultimate Midway map modded", and well, that's not it. It's almost impossible to live up to that high bar you set there, and thus peoples' answers a bit more... harsh.

It's cool you shared the map, and some people probably liked it or got some ideas out of it, but it's hard if not close to impossible to impress modding "veterans" with SSM moddings, as there is not much new one can post. Everything has be done before. Of course we still find new stuff every couple of months, but that's usually minor stuff if it's SSM.

@WTK: Yeah, e.g. in Germany our keyboards are pretty cramped, we need Alt Gr for the following characters...
²³{[]}\~|

I'm sure about that French stuff as French was a must-do at our school...and having to meddle about 8 years with a language makes stuff stick, no matter if you dislike the language. ;)

xFire: wgpsenshi

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next