Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:59 pm 

DC No Fly Zone CTF for the Desert Combat 7 mod is one of the best & biggest maps made for DC and now it's even more fun. 8-)

With the server sided modding techniques I learned from this website/forum, I have been able to modify the map DC NFZ CTF ( DC No Fly Zone - Capture The Flag ) into a really good fun map in which both teams have equalized equipment ( aircraft, weapons & land vehicles ) so that no matter which team you are on, you have access to use your favorite vehicles & weapons.

The jets have been modified to fly a little faster, maneuver and handle a lot better too.

The jet engine speeds have been adjusted so that they all have an average speed variance within a few knots of each other ( they fly at about the same speed ) so that what ever jet you are in during an aerial combat situation ( dogfighting ) you can be sure that it will be a fair fight based on combat flying skills rather than the enemy having a faster jet. 8-)

The runways now provide ammo reloads and repairs for the jets for their respective teams.

An additional aircraft ammo supply box is located by the river for quick reloads for extended dogfighting.

The server's game.rfa has been modified so that every time you grab the enemy flag you get 2 points. ( so if you grab the enemy flag and capture it, you get a total of 12 points ) :wink:

If you accidently kill a teammate, NO points are subtracted from your score.

Clicking the "suicide" thingy ( to switch teams, change weapon kit or getting stranded ) will NOT take away any score points.

If you had to eject out of your aircraft along the river, there are choppers, land vehicles, speed boats ( LCVP with forward & verticle boosters ) and a few jets that spawn by those villages.

To get ammo reloads for your hand weapons just take out your knife.

At the north end of the river there is a two seater BF1942 propeller plane bomber ( AichiVal ) that flies like a jet ( same as Mig-29 & F-15 ) with an increased entry radius ( 6.6 to 10 ) for flag capturing swoop & scoops.

Just imagine grabbing the enemy flag ( 2 points there ) then a few seconds later getting scooped up by a teammate flying it and now you are in the back gunner seat being chased by multiple enemy aircaft shooting at you at high speeds through the vallys while you fire at them in a barrage of close passing air to air missiles flying back and forth fired by them and your teammates while your team closes in with air support during the enemy's non stop pursuit ! :D

The stingers, RPG & SMAW now have a quicker round of fire and reload speed and the projectiles shoot straight. ( gravitymodifier 0 )

Since this is a CTF map and many of you that has played CTF may recall during gameplay, just as you are about to grab the enemy flag or as soon as you have it in your posession all of a sudden, BOOM, someone blasts you with C-4. :lol:

It doesn't take much skill to surround the flag with C-4 and detonate it when an enemy player grabs it and one rule of the game server states "no C-4 at flags".

Since there have been so many players putting C-4 at the flags and to promote team handweapon equalization, I removed the default Spec_Ops kit.
( of course every weapon kit is available by using SSM spawners for the kits located in various points near the river ) :wink:

A lot of players in the server I noticed preferred staying on the Opposition team because they said that they like the PKM and likewise, many liked using the M249 ( US_HeavyAssault ) and stayed on the Coalition team.

So to solve the problem of easily available C-4 ( spawning with the SpecOps kit ) and to provide the PKM & M249 for both teams, I used the following code.

game.setTeamSkin 1 IraqSoldier
game.setKit 1 0 US_Sniper
game.setKit 1 1 Iraq_Assault
game.setKit 1 2 Iraq_AT
game.setKit 1 3 Iraq_HeavyAssault
game.setKit 1 4 Iraq_Support2
game.setKit 1 5 US_HeavyAssault

game.setTeamSkin 2 USSoldier
game.setKit 2 0 US_Sniper
game.setKit 2 1 US_Assault
game.setKit 2 2 US_AT
game.setKit 2 3 US_HeavyAssault
game.setKit 2 4 US_Support2
game.setKit 2 5 Iraq_HeavyAssault

So if you are on the blue team ( Coalition ) and you want to have the PKM, you would simply spawn choosing the US Special Ops kit and then you would have the PKM.
The same is true in reverse, those on the red team ( Opposition ) that want the M249 choose the Iraq Special Ops kit and they will get the US Heavy Assault rifle.

Of course I could have used a SSM code to remove the C-4 from the SpecOps kit with the ObjectTemplate.removeTemplate X but there are some applications in the game for using C-4 other than placing it around the flags.
Those who like to use C-4 can acquire the kits that spawn near the river.

Another SSM technique I applied to ALL the maps in my server to help reduce lingering semi useless polygons ( vehicle object's wreck meshes and particle smoke & fire effects that are rendered for sometimes up to a minute from destroyed vehicles ) is by lowering the ammount of time that these wreck meshes live and basically do nothing but get in the way and force everyone connected to the server that can see these "wreck effects" on their screen to have the same extra polygon data transmitted to them by the game server. :roll:

All these wreck effects basically equates to a lot of additional files, referance codes, effects templates, textures and animations to be processed by the game engine, the server and your computer then get rendered on your screen while you are in the middle of bombing the crap out of the enemy base which of course creates plenty of wrecked object effects to be transmitted via the internet and it can sometimes result in you getting a lag spike causing you to crash right in the center of the enemy base just as they all spawn and see it. :oops: :lol:

It makes sense to lower the ammount of data that needs to be processed and by reducing the work load makes the game ( server & clients ) run a lot smoother and quicker.

Using the following code greatly reduces the work load for the game, server and client.
( it works better than I expected in my server and every map runs a lot smoother too )

ObjectTemplate.Active a10_c
ObjectTemplate.timetoliveafterdeath 1

ObjectTemplate.Active ah64

ObjectTemplate.Active ah-6

ObjectTemplate.Active BRDM2

ObjectTemplate.Active f16

ObjectTemplate.Active F-15c

ObjectTemplate.Active humvee

ObjectTemplate.Active m163

ObjectTemplate.Active mig29

ObjectTemplate.Active mirage

ObjectTemplate.Active SA-19_Pantsyr

ObjectTemplate.Active shilka

ObjectTemplate.Active technical

----------------------------------------

ObjectTemplate.Active ________ <--- any vehicle in map
ObjectTemplate.timetoliveafterdeath ## <--- lower this number = increased server performance & a lot less polygons to be rendered.

By learning so much here I thought if I were to try this code in my server, would it help make it run smoother ? . . . . it sure does. 8-)

( me hopes me stumbled upon and created a SSM code thingy that would be a worthy contribution to the SSM world - if not, let me know ) :roll: :lol:

For those of you that like SSM game servers that provide a good variety of gameplay modes ( COOP, CTF, Conquest ) plus a large map rotation with differant levels of SSM ( heavy modded - COOP maps / equalized modded CTF & Conquest maps ) that are modded logically for fun but not over done, you should check out this game server.

Server name = Jets and Chopper Fun

IP = 4.79.145.145

Port = 14567

Running mods BF1942, Desert Combat, DC_Final, DC_Extended, Stunts, DC_MrMagoo, VXF Airshow and Paralell World.

All the latest SSM stuff you see here plus a lot more SSM things done that were thought not possible. :wink:

Everyone that has played in this server, 99% describe it in one word . . . awesome. :D

Anthony Voltano 7/7/4777
VXF VOLT

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:33 pm 

Give it up for this exceptional effort to bring new wind and fun into the gameplay of BF1942 and its Mods.

Very awesome modification, thank you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:11 am 

:D I thank all of you here at server side modding for sharing your ideas and good advice. :D

Thanks to this SSM community I have acquired the techniques that enabled me to create some nice fun map mods so the least I could do is give back to you all some things that will increase the gameplay fun factor. 8-)

Please read this entire post, it will help you and your team achieve a higher score.

======= DC NFZ CTF =========

The CTF game mode basically consists of two main team methods of operation.

1 - DEFENSIVE OPERATIONS :

Set up vehicles, players and mines at key locations throughout the home base.

DO NOT leave your main base without first setting up some kind of defense !

Make it as difficult as possible for the enemy team to enter the base and acquire the flag.

Team members choosing, preferring or assigned to base defensive duty should remain within the base perimeter.

1A - Defensive Personnel Duty Assignments :

Air Defense :

SA-3 personnel spawn as 'ANTI-ARMOR' and remain in SA-3 unit neutralizing enemy aircraft and notifying locations of outer perimeter enemy personnel such as snipers or incoming vehicles monitored on the radar. SA-3 operator exits the unit with STINGER only in the event of enemy infiltration.

Mobile AA Unit : ( Shilka or Vulcan )
Same as above, but moving and operating from optimum positions while monitoring radar for incoming enemy and alerting team personnel to enemy locations.

Base Defensive Patrol Unit : Consisting of 2 personnel .

1 spawns as 'support' placing mines at flag and base entry points while patrolling base and repairing base equipment and healing troops.

2 spawns as 'Anti Tank' placing mines at key locations like vehicles and base exit points.
BRDM, BMP, BRADLY, LINEBACKER, HUMMER are used for base patrol units.

Mobil Defensive Unit :
Base operations include patrolling preventing enemy entry and acquisition of flag.

SCUD Unit :
Spawn as 'support'.
Although used for offensive support by destroying enemy base equipment, it is usually operated from remote areas targeting the enemy main base and outposts.
Used in conjunction with the offensive team operations, the scud operator fires upon the enemy base just prior to the commencement of the offensive team's entry to the enemy base to acquire the flag.

-----------------------------------------

2 - Offense :

Most effectively executed in a wave of aircraft and ground vehicles approaching the enemy base from different directions ( north, south, east, west, high altitude and low altitude ).

Team personnel choosing, preferring or assigned to the offensive operations unit should remain on offensive objectives such as team timing maneuvers in acquiring the enemy flag.

1 - Multi - wave timing operation:

Wave one consists of choppers and bombers creating a distraction while eliminating enemy personnel, anti-aircraft weapons ( SA-3, Shielka, vulcan, AAA ) and equipment.

Wave two consists of fighter jets and ground vehicles ( buggys, hummers, strykers, pick-up trucks, etc ).

Personnel bailing or landing for the flag should have plenty of team support so as to provide time for a safe window of opportunity to acquire the flag and escape from the enemy base with the flag.

Offensive units must also provide a safe way out of the enemy base for the flag carrier.

There is also the "plane handoff & swap", where as someone flies their plane towards the flagcarrier, bails out and 'gives' his plane to the flagcarrier for quick transportation back to his base for the flag capture score.

And of course there is always the swoop and scoop with the F-14.

Having multiple personnel going for the flag at the same time, increases the chance of successfully acquiring the flag and protection cover for the flag carrier.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I suggest you print the following main base illustrations.

I have many more tactical maneuvers that can be utilized in flag acquisition and will post them.

Try utilizing the above game tactics and you will see a better team outcome and a more exciting CTF game experience.

<VXF> VOLT

--------------------------------------------------

Anthony Voltano 7/7/4777
VXF VOLT

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:40 am 

I really enjoy playing on this AWESOME SERVER(yes the "A" word). I have found DC No Fly Zone, that Volt Modded to be a great challenge. I believe I have beaten his score on 2 occasions. So he has done something very right, on explaining the concepts of the map. Thanks Volt!!!! ;-) !!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:05 am 

I realize this is a very old post but does anyone have the modded map rfa for this anymore, Haven't played that server for a couple of years or this game for that matter and do miss it and can't find at the IP specified. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:08 am 

The above SSM map is hosted 24/7 on a server called --> DC NFZ 24/7

And also on a server called --> JETS CHOPPER FUN

Anthony Voltano 7/7/4777
VXF VOLT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:29 pm 

Thx volt, It's been a long time but jets and choppers are fun was one of my favs back in the day and i'm sure it will be once more.

I like to use dc no fly for training in a locked server because of the large open space to learn flying but after a few reformats and a years time i misplaced my modded version witch included nitro stukas and zeros but i will rebuilt as i did find the notepad backups of the object spawns....woo hoo!

Maybe we will see ya in game some time. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]