[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS • View topic - Closing Up Shop

Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Closing Up Shop
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:06 am 

Well, guys, its been a good long hall, but seeing the futility of my efforts as a modder, im deciding to close up shop. Since 2002 I have been fascinated with BF1942, how it works, and what I could do to make it better. Unfortunately my constant lack on the technological curve left me in the dark for years while the world enjoyed the mods and jubilation's of multiplayer, where as I, sat alone on single-player servers, clouding over the fact that Dial-Up just did not make the cut.

By the time I was able to join the world in the fun of BF1942's online scene, it was late 2005, and I was already too late to assist in the creation of great content, such mods as FH and DC had already surfaced in the mainstream, and were far beyond my abilities. Between 2006 and now I have spent countless hours of my time devoting myself to learning to make that which I love. But ultimately my efforts are futile, and my continued struggle in the race for technology, I have been left in the dark yet again. As BF2 and BF2142 sky rocket their ways into the modding history, I sit and watch in a helpless state, unable to enjoy or modify the very things I wish to endulge myself with.

Seeing as BF1942's numbers, and BFV's as well are slowly dying, I must bid a humbling farewell to the modding scene. As of tonight I will uninstall all my applications, and store away their installers and disks until the time comes I can use them once again. It is just time to realize the facts, Battlefield is dying, what good servers are left are modded, sometimes horribly so, with a constant influx of new and horrible administrators, and the servers which I use to love now fall silent.

So to all here at serversidemodding, I say farewell, the time has been well spent, and well played for that matter, but I must close up shop, and sit in wait until I can return to come again. Goodbye my fellow modders, keep up the good work, and long live Battlefield 1942!

Archi.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Closing Up Shop
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:57 am 

Indeed, the few servers I enjoy playing are few and far between. They also sit empty quite often, but when they get full it still is a blast. Uninstalling might be a little extreme, since the game can be fun from time to time when you have nothing else to do.

In the end, I will run the only one remaining BF1942 server if it comes to it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:00 am 

nice dramatic outro. :razz: i love it. how ever I don't love the fact that your leaving. :cry: I only wish that I could have joined earlier to and been able to actually get to know you. I feel the same as you do according with the talk about getting into to modding to late. as i've said before. I wish I could have been in the golden age of modding where the possibilities seemed endless. however this site alone has just about everything you can and can't do serverside mentioned in these forums. I believe that the "magic" of modding just has come down even in just the last year. but maybe that was only for me. me and a couple people are working on a mod which is talked about in my thread about it. when we're done with that I also will most likely put away my mods and focus on seriously learning C++. since I aspire to be help for a video game one day i'd like to be able to something for towards it. something that learn more about everyday though is 3d modeling. just from gmax I have gathered a supply of 3d modeling which could be invaluable in the future if I get to do something with a game. I also get better every day literally! and even though the 1942 code is ridiculously simple to learn I think it's examples might help be understand certian types of file structure ext. in a 1-2 months I will also be making a post very similar to this one.

well Archi, I thank you for your help on all my questions in the forums to get me where I am now. and also for all the people you've helped to. hopefully you will check in on this site and help other fellows who might just stumble apon this site and become fascinated with modding and take it up. I know I will ;-) . i'd also like to go ahead and thank everyone for what they've done to get me where I am in modding. in just a couple months i've learned things that I firmly believed that I could never do. :shock:

thanks for all of your help Archi and I hope to see you again. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:50 am 

Sorry to hear that. I was looking at opening a wakeclan.com modded server too, maybe u could have helped with that? :(

Also, I'm doing what I can to keep BF alive. I make sure my admins are not assholes, and hold them accountable. There are still some fun servers out there to play though.

I could always use help with our rotating server, I'm opening up admin rights to responsible players, not just wake members.

At any rate...sorry to hear that, wish u would reconsider!

BF1942 4 LYFE!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:56 am 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:26 am 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:31 am 

Don't forget the [TKO] server. I'm sure we will be one of the last servers in the end aswell.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:21 pm 

Well, this sucks. howdoimod and I could really have used your help on our mod.. :( I don't understand this. Why leave a game, and uninstall everything, and just walk away, when there are still thousands of people playing this game. While outdated, IT IS STILL BEING SOLD NEW!!!
I bought it almost exactly 1 year ago! I learned to mod in under a month! And I had a server soon after, along with a sizable clan! I seriously think you should reconsider.

I will also keep my 1942 server open until I am the last one who ever plays on it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next