[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS • View topic - Server Bandwith Formula

Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:13 am 

I refuse to buy more garbage from EA. 2142 has crossed the line. If you are with me, copy this into your sig too.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:39 pm 

Opinions?
I looked over my previous posts and couldn't find an opinion...

This IS how BF works:
Fact: BF uses all the bandwidth it can find.
Fact: BF divides up all the previously found bandwidth among the player limit.
Fact: There's no way to determine how limiting the clients bandwidth will affect the individual player because there are too many factors involved with ping, latency, route to server, etc.

Also, according to serverspy, my little 32 player server is ranked 5th in the world, so I must know something of this server admin stuff :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:39 am 

Well, here are the setting's for my server that I have had running over a year now. In fact it is one of the most popular servers in the USA for that matter according to server spy. We run with no limit on the server side and 56k on the client side. When the server is full with 32 players the bandwith is at a steady 1.5 to 1.7 streaming. We have a 8mb pipe both ways and I havn't every recorded the mothly usage because it's all free.
DCF Server IP 162.42.224.186 (standard port)

Try it out and see. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:04 am 

The part of the question I needed answered, has not been adressed at all. I need the formula. I have seen it, so I know it has been worked out. I just cannot seem to find it again.

As to where or not 128K or how big of pipleline, server size and ping are all opinion based.

Fact: BF does not use all bandwidth it is given. It does not use all 100Mb of the 100Mb connection (LAN or internet). I does have an interal limit, but what is it?

I have *facts* that say each player uses 6kbps 9kbps and even 90kbps. I need a streight answer.

BF does not divide up all the bandwith among the playes. I give however much each player can use. What I need is an average for that. (reason being, if I am the only one on my server (not the one mentioned above) I do not get all 100Mb nor do I even get 1Mb) This in on 100Mb connection (both with internet and without).

I never said you knew nothing.

Limiting cleint bacndwith to 56K would slow down most of clan, as we all have above 1MB connection.

I have also seen that an unlimited 64 player server will use about 1TB a month. We have gone over that with one 46Player server. Bandwidth did not used to be an issue, but since our serverice provider changed hands, this new company is really picky. (because of them, we are now in 2nd more often than first, (we used to be in first 5/7 days not that has switched).

The only variable that will be changing here is the max throughput limit (and through that the bandwidth). I need the formula in order to calculate semi acuratly how much bandwidth we are using for the server alone and be able to predict how much will be used per limit setting. However, we need to be able maintain our low ping in the server.

Sorry about the opinion thing. I was working in serveral differnt forums looking for the answer. That was not for this fourm.

I refuse to buy more garbage from EA. 2142 has crossed the line. If you are with me, copy this into your sig too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:55 am 

Each server will be different. There is no specified formula for all servers.

Create your own formula from the information given.

Start a server on one of the largest and most complex maps you can run.
Have several freinds from different ping locations join it.
DC_Urban_Siege is good.

If you know the hardware setup of your server, watch the CPU usage rise
for each player than joins.

Have all players fly around in the map, or shoot MLRS rockets, or
something else laggy. Watch the usage.

From that, you should be able to get exact data on the server to
deduce the amount of data reqired, per player, in the worst case
scenario.

Once you know when the CPU reaches over 100%, you know where to
place the throttle as well as max players.

As far as what connections to allow, it is pure choice.
Too many 56K players will lag out everyone, reguardless of connection.
The server will delegate more CPU to those players to ensure that all
players get the end result.
(there is a fudge to this but still true)
(the fudge, is the percent CPU for AI in co-op and single player, also
applies to all players in Multiplayer based on recent activity in the server
ie, A player that has no recent activity vs other players activity,will begin to
lag, on a burdened server)

My two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:54 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:46 pm 

-=AllianceServer.com=- Admin
Up The Irons!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:49 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next