[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS • View topic - Help with BF2 style helicopter hover...

Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:07 pm 

post it in the howto, im to lazy to rip them from your mod later on ;)

Profile Send private message E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:37 pm 

This will be a very hard thing to do in the 42 mod.

Firstly, there are no helicopter engines in 42 as there are in BFV and BF2.

In DC the helicopters use plane engines where the torque is turned down to 0.0001. This explains why helos in DC are untenable and cannot be flown with the ease of any helo in BFV.

Consider using a jet engine as the engine for a helo where you have to reduce the torque so far down that the helo doesnt fly off like a jet. We know that heloicopter engines in BFV provide stability, there is greater margin adjustments using the throttle unlike the 42 engine. This is not to say you cannot find a better balance than the DC modders came up with, however, the plane engine is not designed to respond to throttle changes like the helicopter engine.

I have taken DC helos into BFV maps and I deleted all the 42 engines and restocked the objects physics.con files with BFV helicopter engines.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:08 pm 

Uhm, I think Apache is doing this already for BF42, and he also stated that it works. I didn't test it myself (as I currently have no choppers in my mod) but his explanations sound plausible and I see no reason why it shouldn't work...

xFire: wgpsenshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:44 am 

It does work - checkout DC and DCX - its just tricky to get the balance.

I am having difficulty with converting the H-53 and Hind plane engines to BFV helicopter engines. I have them tuned in, but not to where I like them yet. Not sure how to further improve them - ill keep working on the physics file.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:57 am 

Yes, it's tricky in DC and DCX. That's why Apache has found a better way to allow helicopters to hover like in BF2...did you even read the topic? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:06 am 

:P

I have found that some of the larger birds use setting other then 2500.

Seems that the MinRotation isn't connected to just the mass of the vehicle as the hind, and UH-60 the MinRotation of 2600 works best for me. But it appears that adjustment you might need shouldn't be too far off from that of 2500. Helos like the Apache won't need an adjustment from the code I used. Take into account the drag setting and over all size of the LOD mesh.

Also, the helos in the mod I have done this in have additional wing objects. These aren't needed for the hover but were added to change the flight physics in a way that bots can better use them. So in stock DC helos, the setting *might* need to be increased. The wings add additional drag to the aircraft, so the minRotation settings I use may need to be increased if your doing this on stock DC helos with no wing objects on them. Though there's a chance they have no effect on this at all.

But remember that there is no one size fits all. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:32 pm 

Interestingly, it appears BF42 does actually consider the geometry of the object, no matter what wings etc. you implement codewise.

Easy to test yourself. Just duplicate an object, but replace the geometries of one to another object and test their flight properties ingame.

E.g. compare a Bf109 and a B17, give them all the same rudders, wings and engines, and then test their flight properties. They should differ. The current consens over with the Battlegroup42 modders is apparently the engine calculates the drag real-time according to the collision mesh of the object. That means a huge, blocky object (e.g. a factory) flies worse than a regular slim fighter aircraft. Another reason why coding aircrafts is such a mess, even more if you only want to change details e.g. for balancing reasons...this really can be a pain in the as as I recently noticed myself once more... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:41 pm 

I believe the game calculates drag and such by the LOD and not the COL mesh. I made a mini RC copter and it wouldn't fly right. so I made it use the LOD mesh (though made invisible with alpha texture) of the little bird. It stabalized the craft. I did not change the size or shape of the collision mesh it used. So it's my belief the game uses the lod to determine flight physics for that aircraft.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2