[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS • View topic - Learning to fly but need metal in the sky

Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:56 pm 

Learning to fly but need metal in the sky...

My idea for SSM Gazala COOP:

Spawn 100 jets/helo's for the "red" guys to get in the air.

Has anyone tried this many jets/helo's?

Thought this would be fun...but if someone has already done this with negative results please let me know.

We've had 12 helo's in the sky human vs. human...now human vs. 100 flying bots.

Zoomer

Profile Send private message E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:12 pm 

Who are you? :shock:

And no, that would lag like hell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:28 pm 

I'm the 775'th member for server-side modding...

I love this game (DC Final)!

Hope you retract your statement after I successfully get this to work...lol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:32 pm 

I've never seen you before :lol:

If it does, great, but I think it'll lag beyond playability.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:36 pm 

I remember you zoomer!! I also remember reading a post that describes your signature, and that you had to mention there's an eye in the center because someone didn't see it...yes I remember weird shit. :lol:

But uhhmm yeah, only way to know is to try! I'll bet it would lag though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:47 pm 

You might be able to spawn them and not get lag. But as soon as a significant number of those spawned vehicles start moving, it might cause network lag. :P

But I think this depends. I don't think it would lag much is most of those moving vehicles are controlled by bots. Bot movement is predicted by the server and sent to the clients. Thus the clients don't have to send data back on the whereabouts of all the vehicles. If however most were manned by humans or interacted with humans, then it might get messy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:54 pm 

uhm yeah i had 64 bot server modded midway (lots of extra planes) it was crazy fun but the server was down on its knees on a 2 intel xeon 2.66Mhz 100/100 MB bandwith

you can look at the server fps and if it goes down to under 15 it starts to feel really bad. i tried the same mod on a core2 duo later and there the server fps was much better (about 2x better) but it still was on the limit when it came to gameplay. even in a lan environment

edit: conquest game, me testing a mod (only one in server) effect spawned a extra carrier, when about 3-4 was spawned close to each other the lagfest started, 5-6 and no response from the game, so the more vehicles close to each other the more lag it is, no matter how many players or bots in the game. propably because all the physics calculations the server has to take care of.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:12 am 

The reason for this is that the BF1942 engine and game code was not designed to be running on the intense multi core systems that we have today. More power now is just too much for it to handle, and it is not very beneficial. Back when the game came out, going from a 1.4 Ghz processor to a 2 ghz processor for a server made a difference. But anything you buy today will act just about the same for the game server, since it is not designed to take advantage of the more advanced architecture.

It's like if I gave you 10 gallons of water and some lemons and asked you to make lemonade. With 1 lemon per gallon the lemonade wouldn't be that great. With ten lemons per gallon, it would be better. With 100 lemons per gallon it would be intense. But adding another 100, another 1000, or another 100,000 lemons wouldn't make it that much better. Sure, it is a little bit more lemony, but once you reach a certain point the moves up more and more, and eventually getting a faster processor and more RAM will have virtually no effect on the playability of the game.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next