[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS • View topic - Windows 7 64bit and Battlefield 1942

Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:27 pm 

So...I dared the step and switched to Win7.

Short to say: Win7 rocks! This is what Vista should have been like...

But, there always is a but...Battlefield doesn't work!!!!

Pretty weird though. It starts up okay (intro movies run fine), then it comes to the profile selection screen, you can move the mouse, see the background movie, hear sound, everything fine. Bust only for about 2-3 seconds. Then Crash to Desktop.

Tried multiple compatibility settings, none of them worked :( .

Any help greatly appreciated.

xFire: wgpsenshi

Profile Send private message E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:30 pm 

right click /compatibility/xp

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:33 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:41 pm 

So, maybe I should upgrade...even though I really like XP with a Vista lookalike theme installed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:09 pm 

I loved XP using the XP lookalike Theme... :roll:

I never liked and never will like the grotesque and completely cluddered look of Vista. And I absolutely can't understand why anyone would want to make their XP look like awful Vista. The glossy look kills all overview, let alone the widespread use of transparency. No. Just give me my good old fashioned single-colored UI elements and I'm happy. Though I have to admit Win7 does things right: It does implement transparency and "glossiness", but not so exaggerated like Vista. It doesn't destroy overview and adds a nice fanciness.

Reason for switching to Win7 were simple. I planned to do that nevertheless in 2-3 weeks and just yesterday my XP broke down once more and I decided to shoot it to hell and typed format c: ;)

And Win7 is just awesome. Of course you have to adapt to it at first (as it handles many things different than XP, actually the file handling is almost the same as Vista) and there is some more stuff to configure, but some hours and you are "in". Of course, I had to retrochange some stuff (e.g. I need a proper oldfashioned task bar and hate "grouped" symbols down there. And I need a quick-launch bar. Luckily, it's easy to change the appearance of Win7 easily to your personal preference. And of course you still have to change all the things you had to change back then in XP too...invisible folders, stupid "minitile" view instead of a proper detail list etc. But that's minor stuff.

Here a screenshot of my still unfinished working place. There are a lot of shortcuts missing (especially the quicklaunch bar soon will be cluttered again...I place all program shortcuts there, game shortcuts and "generic" files go to desktop). Desktop itself is also cluttered, as I just imported that from my "old" XP. Some dead links, some missing stuff, some wrong-placed stuff...the usual.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:01 am 

The only thing I don't like about vista for me is that its harder to navigate. I wish windows explorer ("My Computer") in vista just had an address bar on the top and tree on the left. Maybe you can change that though?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:18 am 

I think the reason it crashed might be that before you updated to 7, you had the sound settings set to hardware instead of software. Windows 7 doesn't allow direct access to the sound card anymore and as such the drivers a bit different. So that may be why it crashed. (it would crash the moment you put the mouse cursor over a button of any type as the menu would try to make a menu sound which was the cause of the crash. The BIK files that play in the background (music is also BIK) doesn't use same sound system that's part of the game engine, so those would have played fine.)

You could turn off sound and music, but you would still hear the sound from the intro videos!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:49 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next