[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS • View topic - Laser Dot Sight

Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Laser Dot Sight
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:16 pm 

Would work too, sure :) . But as coroner has not much knowledge about gmax/3dsmax I think he'll prefere a "code" version.

xFire: wgpsenshi

Profile Send private message E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:56 pm 

maybe you cold tame this code 8-)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2914&hilit=Game.drawDebug+1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:46 am 

Ok... according to the "Battlefield Damage System.pdf", the gibbs/chunks of debris in some explosion effects cause damage to nearrby objects. I know those are "Particle"s & i know they will fly out of the emitter no problem. Im gonna try & get a particle working with this before i go & add an engine. Im trying to find out what the material id is on this gibb "Gibb_concret10_m1.rs"... but as Senshi said, my gmax skills are pretty much less than n00bish. :lol: Can anyone tell me how to find the mat id in gmax? Also, this "Game.drawDebug 1" looks like it could be very useful!! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:00 am 

Uhh let me see here's..

I'm just a half-step above your level of 'gmax noob', so until someone else comes along..:

Open MDT -> Run Gmax tools
BF Tools -> Model Import/Export
Import -> Collision

Once open:
Click on the mesh
Right click -> Convert to: Editable Mesh
On the right hand menu, expand the [+] icon under 'Editable Mesh'
Click Face.
Click on the mesh again.
On the right menu, scroll down until the Mat Id textbox becomes visible.

Try it out! If you get up, here's what I found it out to be (copy/paste the text to enlarge): Material 92!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:05 am 

Doesn't anyone remember when Mr Mod and I made one of these??? For the Mk23 in DCF...it worked great save for 2 small issues.

Ah! I know why noone remembers, I never posted the results, only some speculation about it, it was done through pm's and xfire mostly. I'll post a screenshot soon. What you do is make a very small square to the right front of the mesh in max, save it as one piece but different materials. (mr mod got it in the perfect position). Then for it's skin make small red dot. The only problems are it's not always accurate, if you're moving or laying down it will be off slightly, so it's best to leave the regular crosshair on as a reference point. The other problem is that it's only bright red when it's in a bright area. In the dark, it becomes darker just like all skins do. I suppose this could be fixed but I don't know enough about skinning.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:42 am 

wow Iced that worked perfectly!! :shock: Good instructions!

Hey Shep! Did you use an effect to do this?

Im thinking its as easy as using an invisible Partical spit out of an emitter constantly at same speed as bullet. The particle would produce a bright red dot (SpriteParticle) on collision or death which, as far as i can tell, is not effected by environmental lighting. Well... this is the plan anyways :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:57 am 

No..didn't you read the whole post? We made the laser an a part of the mk23's main mesh. It was incredibly simple to execute, figuring out thats how it should be done was the difficult part. Alternatively, you could just make a new crosshair reticle for the gun that was a small dot, but would only work if you're crosshair color was red. (ex. I use orange so it would look really stupid)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:13 am 

Alright i think ive got most of this thing working. :D I got a Bundle object being spit out of an emitter & its causing collision effects with no problems. I have run into one weird problem though. Could be my in-experience. :roll: I addTemplated the effect to the MP5 handfirearms, but the effect only happens when i pull the trigger. Ive addTemplated a silencer & pistol grip object to the same gun in the same place... just under where the MP5Lod is addTemplated... & they show without problem. This is for DC 0.7 of course. Anybody know what im doing wrong?

Hey Shep, your saying you added a laser sight to the actual 3d model of the gun? :shock: If so DAMN! I never would have thought of that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next