[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS • View topic - Editor 42 Library Sharing

Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:34 am 

Hi guys. Had an idea.

As most websites concerning Editor42 are dead, outdated or just linking to other dead pages, I had the thought we might help each other out a bit.

If you ever used Ed42 for editing you know setting up the texture templates for the library is a tiring and time-consuming work. Now, a hardware crash or whatever bad luck and poof, all library files gone. Everybody who had that happen knows that sucks bigtime..

So I thought all map modders (if willing) might want to share their templates here, creating a common pool everybody can retrieve the templates from. I think this is a win-win for everybody. Experienced guys get inspirations by seeing how others did their templates (as there are MANY ways to manipulate), beginners have good learning material to understand the template concept in the beginning and we have a communal backup for the "worst case scenario".

What do you think? Are there any mappers left here texturing with Ed42? Are these interested in such a sharing?

xFire: wgpsenshi

Profile Send private message E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:11 pm 

Great idea man. I have mainly some pacific skinning library files, but I could post them here..or attach them to my post I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:53 pm 

I'll make the start and post mine. They are not much, they are not great, but well. My better ones were lost due to a HDD head crash :( .

Rule of thumb for my templates:
The longer the name, the more subtemplates it has. I hope the naming is pretty self-explanatory...templates with "Z" are only helper templates to quickpaint maps to visualize the elevation models, naming them "Z" moves them to the end of the list ;) . Others are just experiments which helped me out in certain situations.
The name usually consists of all the sublayers its using as well as the type the layer is. E.g. "Slope_GrassSandRock_Desert" is a slope selector which uses multiple sublayers.

The most "complex"(not really ;), but I like them) templates are:
GrassSnow_RockSlope_Great
and
Slope_GrassSandRock_Desert

They are the ones that were used in my Gazala Winter and Guadalcanal Desert maps.

You definetly will have to refine the treshold settings of the height selector to your map as every map has different waterlevels etc. . Just tinker a bit, you'll figure it out ;)

Be careful: Don't delete "cheap" layers on a whim as they might be used in more enhanced layers and those won't function without them.

Would love if others would join in sharing here or, if you are using templates from here, give feedback about them. I'm definetly interested in opinions and criticism ;) .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:02 am 

Here's mine...there's not a lot, but hopefully they will help. I included a preview with each one in the zip file. The only one that is height dependent is the cambrai one...there's just some mud at the shoreline.

-- This only looks good with the wake island detail.dds file.

Also one thing that came up while making a pacific map...in a pinch, you can open up your detail.dds file and change the tint of it (give/take some color to it) to prevent you from redoing your whole texture, if its just a touch off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:59 am 

Yup, i also work heavily with detail.dds, makes it very easy to give maps a certain atmosphere (if you change the object coloring/shadowing settings as well). Noticed that when I just tried out different standard detail.dds from vanilla maps and each gave a completely different look (e.g. the el alamein dds with its distinctive yellowish shade). I try to make my templates independent from detail.dds (pressing "T" in Ed42), allowing me to toy around in a great degree with the detail.dds.

And you got some really nice textures there, definetly will take a look at these. Perhaps merge them into some of my layers or replace some of my crappier ones...will see :) . But definetly will add variety to future retextures or new maps. Of course you'll get credits for that ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]