[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS • View topic - planes fly on own?

Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: planes fly on own?
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:24 am 

Hm, sorry, I see somehow part of my intended first post got lost...thought I already wrote what I tried...

As I'm doing this CSM, I started from scratch. I made a copy of the B17 called B17Robot. I eliminated all Wing- and Flaplifts (and now even removed them alltogether).
I remmed out all four active engines and put in a single dummy engine on 0/0/0 to make sure it's centered.

I tried adding all variations of floaters, no good, usually spread out along the X and Z axis, tried different distances too (doesn't do much good).
I now think Hullheight is the buffer zone, when the object gets below the floater y minus Hullheight, the FloaterLift activates and starts pushing the thing up (tested that by using radical Lift values. Setting the hullheight to 0 thus causes the object to be fixed, not the slightest movement there.

The problem is not that the B17 is making turns or something (how should it ;) ), the problem is it's not flying level. It starts with small bounces (as its speed is still slow) and as speed increases, it describes huge parables and ultimately crashes into the ground. Low speed values somehow cause the plane to go tailheavy and make pretty weird slow-mo loops on the spot. Tail heaviness is not due to masses ( I think), but to the inital low speed. As the engine kicks in, it pulls forward, which, as the floater activates, becomes "up".

Tried playing around with inertiaModifier, gravitymodifier, setting mass to 0 etc. etc., no good.

Also tried tinkering a bit with the engine position, but somehow still to no avail :( . I thought 0/0/0 described the absolute center of the object, deducted from the bbox? Or is 0/0/0 only the center of the first PCO geometry, not the whole PCO complex? That would explain a lot, then I'd just have to figure out the absolute center of the complex (should be a charm with 3dsmax).

xFire: wgpsenshi

Profile Send private message E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:54 am 

This does all depend on the objects center in MAX.. it needs to be perfectly balanced.. Its a bitch to tweak because you are moving everything each time you move the body.

I made a 'Frogger' map using (a lot) of entirely automatic cars and cessnas using these techniques..

One of the guys made a pretty funny video which shows the planes towards the second half. at 3:30 you can clearly see the 3 launch ramps i used for the planes

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:48 am 

Didn't work out. 0/0/0 is the overall center of the B17...

But I found a perfectly working example which I'll now detach via "reverse engineering" to see how the hell it worked so brilliantly. Just take a look at the "Remote"-aircrafts of Forgotten Hope. They are the planes used for the cool bombing run-kits hidden on some maps (e.g. Gazala). These kits allow you to pinpoint a target, then grant you limited control of a in-air-spawning bomber (you only can correct flightpath via side rudder) and have a bombsight view. Then, discharge payload as it pleases you. These planes stay absolutely perfect on track, just copying them over from FH to vanilla works! Just make sure to set the engine input to ET_Rocket. But just copying is forbidden (at least if you intend to distribute your modding) thus I'm using it to understand the values I'm still not certain about. Will of course give an elaborate explanation here when done (though that may take a while ;) ).

xFire: wgpsenshi

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:20 pm 

I have a ? I am adding Self Flying Stuka's to a Mod I'm working on, The map is small so they need to start out of bounds. I don't want to have to alter the out of bounds and pack Materialmap.raw with the rfa since that will make it 10 times bigger... so is there anyway to make the planes not get destroyed when out of bounds? I have searched and searched and searched some more and have had no luck yet.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:48 pm 

Unmanned vehicles will always be when destroyed out of bounds, AFAIK this can't be changed.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:56 pm 

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:23 pm 

LOL well i tried that and got this

it started spawning plane after plane after plane... and they still blew up. Where im having the main problem is they blow up after leaving the in bounds. So they start Out of bounds, go in bounds and go back out of bounds. Its kinda of noobish to leave the planes exploding right after they clear the buildings... its just not clean and i like to make clean mods.

ps. i changed from stuka to B17 and there's only supposed to be one at a time

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:23 pm 

Hmm. I know you don't really want to, but maybe you could edit the material map, just so there's a narrow "path" the planes can take so they're in bounds the whole time.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next