Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: BFV Patch Problem
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:20 pm 

I tried installing the 1.21 patch on my computer and its saying I already have 1.21 installed....which I don't. I also can't reinstall as the InstallShield won't open for me. Any ideas?

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: BFV Patch Problem
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:52 pm 

You're going to need to remove all BFV entries from your registry. I'm thinking the reason you couldn't get it to uninstall in the first place was because it's kinda confusing. It took me a while to realize what the thing was saying: when you get to the uninstall screen, you have to uncheck everything you don't want, instead of checking what you want to get rid of. That's just for future reference.

Now, as for the registry, go to Start, Run, then type regedit and press OK. You should probably back it up if you've never messed with the registry before (File > Export). Then you need to Find all Battlefield Vietnam entries, as well as the PunkBuster for Battlefield Vietnam. The entries were never removed by the installer, so it still thinks the game/patch is installed. Delete those entries (you have to get all of them), then you should be good to install again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:45 pm 

Ok, Thanks. But about the first thing you said, I couldn't get it to open that screen. I tried all the ways I knew to open it and it never did. I went to start into All Programs, to EA GAMES then BFV, and then Uninstall BFV. It never opened. I used the Uninstall option on the menu that the disk brings up. It still never opened. So I'm afraid that if I do anything to remove it completely that I won't be able to reinstall it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:28 pm 

Ahh ok. I've had this trouble before too and the registry thing fixed all the problems. Could you make a backup copy of the game somewhere else, then try to reinstall it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:49 pm 

That is what I was originally trying because I was trying to have all versions (1.2 and 1.21) by copying the game and updating one. So yes I can copy it and then try. I've heard about the Registry thing before for other computer problems and don't I need to create a System Restore Point first, in case something goes wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:10 pm 

I would just make a backup of the Registry. When you're in regedit, go to file and export and then save the file somewhere. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have System Restore point as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:09 pm 

Ok, so I open regedit and I have no clue what to do. What do I click? I tried the options and nothing made sense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:47 am 

Go to File, then Export to save a backup. Now go to Edit, then Find. Type in Battlefield Vietnam, and click Find Next. You can use F3 to continue doing Find Next. Now whenever something is highlighted in the right pane, pay attention to the folder that is open on the left screen. If the whole folder is Battlefield Vietnam, then delete the folder. Otherwise, just delete the entry in the right screen. You should have several entries to delete. Keep pressing F3 until you have found and deleted them all. Again, make sure you get the PunkBuster for BFV too.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next