[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS • View topic - Anyone tried this

Battlefield Modding Tutorials BFMODS

Battlefield Modding Tutorials
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anyone tried this
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:45 pm 

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:00 am 

I refuse to buy more garbage from EA. 2142 has crossed the line. If you are with me, copy this into your sig too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:34 am 

Its a bird! its a plane! no! its an M1A2 falling from...somthing...high...up..:?:

Well SSMs are possible, however, there are some major drawbacks.

This appears to be the standard error when inserting anything "new" (say a jeep_faav into Karkand, or an EU kit):

I haven't played with the precache.con stuff yet, so that migh be a work around for new items, however, it is possible to play with already existing stuff.

I refuse to buy more garbage from EA. 2142 has crossed the line. If you are with me, copy this into your sig too.

Post subject: Re: Anyone tried this
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:57 am 

Bump i must know how this turned out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:08 am 

It's been a really long time since I have done any BF2 server side modding so anything I am about to post is based only on what I can remember. Also normally when I make posts like that I do follow up later on if I discover anything interesting, so because I did not post any other info I am inclined that I did not discover anything new. This does not mean that some one else did not find a way to do this.

Now for what I remember. I recall something about the shaders needing to be cached on the client for a object to be rendered by the BF2 engine, this means if you try to add a on object to a map that is not normally present in the map (say a helo to Karkand) the client won't know how to render it and thus give the error above. I never found a way around that nor have ever seen an example of it working. You can however, mix and match and otherwise mod anything is already in the map. For example you can move spawn points around and change what they spawn. You can also modify the weapons (with some restrictions, not freely like in 42) and other type stuff. The basic rules of modding 42 still apply (no graphical mods, physics mods can be unpredictable, etc).

Sorry I can't be of much help. Hopefully someone else has figured out more than I did and maybe they can be of more help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:54 am 

Well, a ton of stuff can be done through python but that's another story. In addition, I've done so much in 2142 that it boggles the mind, but that's not what I care about. What I care about is adding vehicles to maps that are not present. So I had an idea, something that I've never seen before. This thread:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1566&hilit=adding+vehicles

If you do a page search for run /objects/vehicles/ in the list before the actual list of objects, it shows the vehicles for that map. Now only a few maps that I've run into have this massive run list in 2142 and of those, I've only looked in one map for the run /objects/vehicles/ line and found none. Basically, my theory is, if that list lists all the objects and vehicles used in that map, can I add to that list? That's my first step.

Actually...before reading that list, I just saw this:

if v_arg1 == BF2Editor

Which means only run that list if the program opening up that file is the editor...so this may not even work in 2142. But if we assume it may have some sort of a chance, then perhaps if I add vehicles to that list, maybe I can add vehicles to the map? Hmmm... I have tried adding vehicles back in the day but have failed each time. If any person has been able to find a way, I must know so that my SSM can be EPIC! ROAR BTW, is that thread mentioned in the first post still active? I don't want to register and find out it was a bust.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:27 am 

The run lists are used for precaching objects in the editor (thus the if v_arg1 == BF2Editor). You might be able to get the client to load the necessary data that way, however, I don't think it will work. I don't have a good reason why but something in my memory is telling it doesn't. The trick is getting the client to load the necessary data but modified scripts run on the server. Basically if the server controls it it can be changed, otherwise its read-only (which is why we can change attributes of things server side but not graphics/sounds). BF2 only loads shaders for objects in that map and no extra thus in order add a new object the various shaders needed for that object must be loaded on the client.

Anyway those are my thoughts/memories so don't take them as fact. There could very well be something that was missed/overlooked. It would have been very nice dynamically load objects server side. It might also be possible using python, but I don't know where or how to begin down that path.

As for the thread in the parent, I have no clue if it is active or not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:32 pm 

Yeah, I don't have a Cal account or anything to register and see the thread.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]